August 16, 2011
The federal government will commit $51.4-million to the construction of a new convention centre in downtown Halifax, according to Metro newspaper.
Last year, the provincial and municipal governments said they would each contribute $56-million toward the new facility.
Nova Scotia Premier Darrell Dexter said Ottawa’s contribution is great news for the province and will help strengthen the economy, reported Metro.
“This convention centre will mean new jobs during construction and operation, and it will put this province on the map as a premier destination for conventions and other tourism activities,” Dexter said in a statement.
On-site, there will be 115,000 sq. ft. of rentable space and 51,000 sq. ft. of pre-function/reception space. Rentable space includes a 35,500-sq.-ft. column-free ballroom; 52,000 sq. ft. of multi-purpose space and 28,000 sq. ft. of meeting-room space.
Expected to be operating by early 2016, the convention centre will be part of a $500-million development by Rank, Inc. that will also include a hotel and retail stores.
View the full article at Metro’s site