By Don Douloff, April 16, 2009
Know what you’re getting into before you decide to certify an event as green, advises Meeting Strategies Worldwide, which has created the first certifiable sustainability management system standard for the events industry.
The company helped facilitate BS 8901:2007 certification for the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and based its management system on that model.
Five tips to help you consider if BS 8901 might be right for you:
- Know your goal. Many event organizers want to know how ‘green’ their event is compared to others. If you’re looking to validate your checklist of best practices or recycling achievements, BS 8901 might not be for you.
- Be prepared! BS 8901 provides a management framework that considers not only green guidelines, but all your event-management systems.
- Integration is key. Many event managers have separate checklists, contracts, RFP requirements and measurements they tack on or request when ‘green’ is important.
- Consider scope. Events and organizations can be certified BS 8901-compliant or Phase I-, II- or III-compliant.
- Know the value. USGBC chose to certify their organization through Phase III.