Hilton Worldwide today announced the launch of Curio – A Collection by Hilton.
The new brand was created for travelers seeking “local discovery and authentic experiences.” It will consist of a curated collection of four to five star hotels.
“Our customers and owners have expressed strong interest in a brand from us that includes hotels that can retain their unique identity but also deliver the many benefits of our system, including our Hilton HHonors guest loyalty program,” said Christopher J. Nassetta, president and CEO of Hilton Worldwide. “That, desire, combined with the current size of the independent hotel market and demand for differentiated hotel stays around the world, made for the right timing for this launch. Curio is an exciting new brand for us—one of two unique new concepts we’ll introduce this year.”
Letters of intent have been signed for the following properties:
- SLS Las Vegas Hotel & Casino: Owned and operated by SBE, SLS is located on the site of the former Sahara Hotel & Resort. It will re-open later this year following a $415 million renovation.
- The Sam Houston Hotel (Houston, Texas): Originally opened in 1924, the property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. American Liberty Hospitality will maintain management of the hotel when it joins the brand later this year.
- Hotel Alex Johnson (Rapid City, S.D.): Owned by Cortex LLC and operated by Isis Hospitality LLC, the hotel is located near the Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Built in 1928, it is also on the National Register of Historic Places. Its guest rooms, public areas and meeting spaces will be renovated before it joins Curio in 2015.
- The Franklin Hotel (Chapel Hill, N.C.): Owned and operated by Wintergreen Hospitality, the hotel is located one block from the University of North Carolina campus. It is expected to join the brand in late 2014.
- Property in Portland, Ore.: Constructed is scheduled to begin in early 2015 on a hotel development by The Widewaters Group Inc., in downtown Portland. The hotel is expected to debut as part of the collection in late 2016.