Karen Chupka, senior vice-president, International CES and Corporate Business Strategy for the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)® is the recipient of the 2015 Woman of Achivement Award from the International Association of Exhibitions and Events™ (IAEE).
“Twenty-six years ago I started as a registration coordinator at CEA,” says Chupka. “Through the opportunities I got at CEA and the networking and education I received through IAEE, my career and our show has grown in ways that I never could have imagined.”
The award recognizes a woman who has led the way in the advancement of women in the exhibitions and events industry, exhibited outstanding leadership, and made significant contributions to the industry and her community. Criteria include:
- being a woman currently employed or retired from an IAEE member company in good standing
- employment with one or more IAEE member companies for a minimum of eight years and spanning at least 15 years
- demonstrated exemplary leadership abilities through years in the exhibitions and trade show industry
- having made significant and/or noteworthy achievements or contributions to the exhibitions and trade show industry resulting in a breakthrough, or milestone, made at any time within the nominee’s carreer
- having contributed time and talents to IAEE
- having demonstrated services as a role model, or mentor, that shows dedication to the advancement of women in the exhibitions and trade show industry
“Karen’s vision and strategy have helped the International CES set the tone for the global technology industry year after year,” said Gary Shapiro, president and CEO, CEA. “Karen inspires us all to reach higher, do better and collaborate with those who think differently. She is a true woman of achievement, a shining example of a trade show industry leader and I congratulate her for this well-deserved honour.”
Chupka received the award at the IAEE Women’s Leadership Forum, which was held April 8, 2015 in Washington, D.C.
IAEE is accepting nominations for its other individual awards until June 12, 2015.