BY ANNE DIMON
Able to host groups of up to 5,000 guests with a wide range of accommodations, the luxury, eco-friendly Riviera Maya offers 640,000 sq. ft. of meetings space, plus 40,600 hotels rooms.
Here’s what’s new and coming in the destination:
- Before year’s end, Aventura Cove Palace will become the all-inclusive Hard Rock Riviera Maya.
- Expected to be unveiled later this year, the Kanai Riviera Maya Development Complex will feature a residential area, two championship golf courses and four luxury hotels, including W Retreat Kanai, St. Regis Kanai Resort & Residences, Kanai Auberge and, in 2016, the Park Hyatt Kanai.
- Mayakoba’s second development phase is now under construction with the addition of the 213-room Andaz Mayakoba luxury resort slated to open in 2015. The resort will include a new 36-hole golf course, plus residential and commercial areas.
- New options for group activities include “Xplor at Night” featuring activities from ziplining to all-terrain amphibious vehicle excursions all under the stars; a new Zip-Bike Adventure at Xel-Ha; plus the new 96-acres Bel Air Animal Park, the first zoo in Riviera Maya.
- Part of a recent enhancement project, the new 11,000 sq. ft., six-treatment room spa has opened at the Plyacar Palace.
- The iconic eco-archaeological park, Xcaret will launch a new cultural show in 2014.
Visit their site: www.rivieramaya.com