Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. is launching the hospitality industry’s first mobile, keyless entry system at 10 hotels around the world this week.
Available to members of its loyalty program, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG®), SPG Keyless is powered by the SPG app. It enables guests to bypass the front desk (where available), go directly to their room and unlock their door with a simple tap of their smartphone.
“Not only does SPG Keyless alleviate a perennial pain point for travelers, but it also transforms the first interaction with our guests from one that is transactional to something more personal,” said Frits van Paasschen, Starwood’s president and CEO. “this is just the beginning, because through mobile we have the opportunity to marry high tech and high touch to transform the hotel experience in many exciting ways.”
SPG Keyless goes live Wednesday, November 5th at: Aloft Beijing, Aloft Cancun, Aloft Cupertino, Aloft Harlem, W Doha, W Hollywood, W Hong Kong, W New York-Downtown, W Singapore and Element Times Square. Starwood plans to make it available on 30,000 doors in 150 hotels around the globe by early 2015 across Aloft, Element and W hotels.
SPG Keyless is available to SPG members who book a hotel room through one of Starwood’s channels (hotel websites, SPG.com, the SPG app or customer contact centre).
HOW IT WORKS
- SPG members register their phone once through the SPG app and allow push notifications
- After booking a reservation at a keyless hotel and approximately 24 hours before arrival, users are invited to opt-in to SPG Keyless
- Guests will receive a push notification that they are checked in and the SPG App will update with his/her room number and Bluetooth key when the room is ready
- Upon arrival at the hotel, the guest can completely bypass the front desk (where available) and go directly to his/her room
- To open the room door, guests must enable their Bluetooth, open the SPG App, and hold the smartphone to the door lock. When a green light appears, they can enter the room.